The Essential List of
Startup Marketing Resources
This is where it all begins, Startup Marketing 101.
“Most startups don’t fail at building a product, they fail at acquiring customers.”
– Gabriel Weinberg, CEO & Founder DuckDuckGo
You’ve worked hard to build a great product, or just finished writing thousands of lines of code. But the job’s not done, and if your goal is for any level of success, it’s only just the beginning.
It’s common for startups to focus on development and design, but without marketing, no one will see what you’ve created.
Startup Marketing is different to traditional marketing. Why? At a high level:
- A startup is different from a small business because it’s trying an unproven product, service, or business model (a new Italian restaurant uses an established and proven business model, and therefore is not a startup)
- Startups are (more often than not) running bootstrapped – that is with no or very little outside investment. They don’t have the budget to go toe-to-toe with the big guys and win through advertising spend
- Startups are often run by solopreneurs or small teams of 2 or 3 and have limited time to spend on marketing
Because of this:
- You have to be lean: build, measure, and learn
- You have to be smarter: with your money and resources
- You have to be agile: with your speed and capitalization of opportunities
Based on that, I’ve put together a list of the essentials you need to know to acquire customers for your startup.
- Copywriting, Branding & Positioning
- Content Marketing
- Email Marketing
- Social Media
- Conversion Rate Optimization
- Analytics & Metrics
Step-by-step landing page copywriting
Cheatsheet: 52 Headline Hacks
Content Marketing Blogs
Content Marketing Institute
Content Marketing Tools
How Retargeting Gets Our SaaS $650 for $6 (turn off AdBlock to see the actual ads)
Perfect Audience Blog
3 Lessons Learned From Testing Hundreds Of Onboarding Emails
Email Marketing Blogs
Email Marketing Tools
Why Google Plus is a Great Traffic Generation Source
Socia Media Marketing Blogs
Social Media Marketing Tools
Which Test Won?
50+ Google Analytics Resources – The 2014 Edition
Three Big Economic Fallacies Behind Growth Hacking
How We Grew Our SAAS Startup’s MRR from 0 to over $2k in Under One Month
First Customer Tools